Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Top 10 Albums of 2011

What's up cabrones. I've got an hour to kill before I walk the dogs and steal some decorations so I wanted to sit down and finally write my list up for this year in music. An amazing year for music and I can't wait for 2012. Let's do this.

Onward To Golgotha

1. KEN Mode - Venerable
Holy shit this album. The moment you listen to it you add 200 pounds to your bench press and 5 inches on your biceps. Giant, disgusting, harsh, motivational, it's got everything. THE noise-rock band to carry the Jesus Lizard/Albini torch. Some of the raddest dudes to hang out with too, even though I was genuinely scared that Jesse (vocals/guitar) was going to beat the living shit out of me if I said something wrong. I <3 Canada.

2. Maruta - Forward Into Regression
Obesity is the only word I can use to describe this album. The guitar sounds like the strings were covered in lard and deep fried before they started recording. Fattest riffs in grind, easily. Get a heart attack and mosh your arteries off.

3. Virus - The Agent That Shapes The Desert
Total mind-fuckery. I can't even air-guitar to this shit its so ridiculous. The most skronked up chords in the game with serpentine bass lines underneath it to put you at ease until the jangled drums fuck it back up again. Just insanity.

4. Sulaco - Build And Burn
The masters of lubed up legato blessed us with 7 tracks of the tastiest riffs by way of Rochester, New York. Eric Burke continues to blow my fucking mind with the shit he comes up with. 100% dolphin sex in music form.

5. Electro Quarterstaff - Aykroyd
These goddamn Canadians...jesus christ. So much nipple tweaked pinch harmonics and frantic Tetris defeating rhythms, I still can't believe this album is real. Try and wrap your mind around these arrangements, even Zappa would be impressed. Poutine covered bass tone and enough delicate fingering to snap the bras off the entire Victoria Secret team. Ri-fucking-diculous.

6. Secret Samurai - Zanshin
Arabic surf played by gringos from San Diego. I love this town. Goddamn great playing by the guitarist, dude is working his ass off on every track to bring you pendejos the most delicious saffron marinated riffs for your gluttonous pleasure.

7. Ulcerate - Destroyers Of All
Yeah, this album will destroy the shit out you. Terrifying like a Lovecraft novel with even more lurking monstrosities underneath all those non-Euclidean riffs. The drummer has to be Cthulhu cause no human could play like that. Ever. Get destroyedededed.

8. Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
These dudes came out of nowhere and made the best 70's rock album in 2011. Like a classy version of Kyuss. That makes no sense. Whatever. Just put this on and crash a 71' El Camino into your face.

9. Charles Bradley - No Time For Dreaming
Dude is 63 years old, releases his FIRST album in 2011 and its as heavy as it gets for soul. I want to meet the girl of my dreams and have her cheat on me just so I have a reason to cry while listening to Charles Bradleys voice. Get your heart broken.

10. Wu-Tang Clan - Legendary Weapons
GotDEAYUMN. That's all I have to say. I can't fucking wait for GZA to release Liquid Swords 2 next year. O.M.G.

Honorable Mentions:

Disma - Toward The Megalith
BUH. Filthy old-school death metal. The way it's supposed to be.

Gridlink - Orphan
Shoot up some speed and get your heart rate blown to shit.

Black Cobra - Invernal
Fuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhck. Huge. Obese. Monolithic. Those riffs are scary huge.

Raekwon - Shaolin vs Wu-Tang
Word is bond.

Noisear - Subvert The Dominant Paradigm 
The only dudes ballsy enough to use Stephen Procorpio/Human Remains volume swell shenanigans.

If you made it to the end, I'm prooobably going to do another post on the Top Meals of 2011. Yeah really. I don't give a fuck.

-Get Fat

No comments:

Post a Comment